Language Requirements

Language requirements for European-Community and non-European-Community foreign applicants
All European-Community and non-European-Community foreign students who have already obtained B1 certification or higher are exonerated from taking the Italian language proficiency test and from the respective instructional requirement. All others who do not have certification attesting to their level of proficiency must take an evaluation test to determine the instruction necessary to fulfill the requirement.
All students without documentation of certification must enroll in outside courses in order to obtain either CILS1 (through the University for Foreigners of Siena) or PLIDA B1 (through the Siena office of the Società Dante Alighieri) certification.
In this case, beyond taking the evaluation test of instructional requirement and while working toward the achievement of the required standard, students must further attend a course in Italian as a Second Language offered within the Siena Jazz program. Once certification has been obtained, they may request to be exonerated from the course in Italian as a Second Language as of the subsequent academic year.

The Italian language test shall be administered at the same time as the admission procedures, and the result shall not influence the decision to grant or deny admission.

Candidates should bring a valid document of identification when they come to take the test.

All documents for admission issued in other languages must be accompanied by a legally authenticated translation in Italian.

Exonerated therefore from taking the Italian-language test and from attending the course in Italian as a Second Language are candidates who have obtained:

  • a diploma from a secondary school, following a period of study of five, or at least four, years at one of the following institutions:
    • an Italian school abroad;
    • an English, French, Spanish, Swiss or German school in Italy at which teaching was conducted in Italian;
    • the European School;
    • a school within the Republic of San Marino;
    • an Italian department within a foreign school;
  • a diploma of Italian Language and Culture from the University for Foreigners of Perugia or Siena.
  • Candidates requesting admission to the 1st Level academic Courses who have obtained a proficiency certificate in Italian level B1 from one of the following institutions:
    • CELI2 (University for Foreigners of Perugia)
    • CILS1 (University for Foreigners of Siena)
    • B1ele.IT (Roma Tre University)
    • PLIDA B1 (Società Dante Alighieri)

Such diplomas may also be obtained under the auspices of Italian cultural institutes abroad or in other authorized programs.