European Union member state Students:
Foreign students who are citizens of European Union members states require no special permits to study in Italy. The same is true for students from special-statute nations such as Lichtenstein, the Principality of Monaco, and Switzerland.

Non-European Union member state Students:
All students from Non-European Union countries are required by Italian law to have a Student Permit (in Italian, Permesso di Soggiorno per Studio) that must be valid throughout the entire study period.
There are two types of visa, one expiring after 90 days, the other expiring after more than 90 days.

Visa for a period of study longer than 90 days:
If the period of study will last longer than three months, students must apply for the Student Visa directly at the appropriate offices within Italy.
This type of document is called a Type-D Visa (in Italian, visto di tipo D). The application process is as follows.

1. The applicant must go to an Italian Post Office authorized to handle application forms for a Type-D Visa.
2. Once the application has been correctly completed and submitted, the applicant will be given an appointment at the Police Headquarters (in Italian, Questura).
3. The Police Office will open an official file for the applicant and will issue the visa.

Since it is not possible to request this document from abroad, applicants must go in person to the offices specified above once they have come to Italy.
The Siena Jazz Foundation cannot serve as intermediary with the Italian authorities, but it will provide students with the necessary documentation to verify enrollment in the university courses.

Immigration Office Siena
tel. (+39)-(0)577/22.23.92
The telephone number is in operation on the following days:
Monday – Wednesday – Friday: from 10:30am to 1:00pm
Tuesday – Thursday: from 3:00 to 5:00pm

Municipality of Siena – Immigration